Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

It was 29 years …

Home Forums Hedgehog tales It was 29 years …

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

…since I’d last seen a live hog.
    A few nights ago my husband was out in the garden at midnight (watching a satellite go over) and he heard a rustling by his feet. He RUSHED in to tell me there was a hedgehog in the garden! I was so excited I woke my 8yr old so he could see his first ever hog. On our way back to the house, we suddenly saw a small blob in front of us. It was another one!!!!!
    This is so amazing and appropriate because last autumn I persuaded my work colleagues to choose the BHPS as our annual staff charity. I write hog blogs for our staff newsletter and have been following my own advice about holes in fences, building a hog box (that was hubby) and putting out water in hot weather. I knew there were hogs in the area as I have seen poo.
    But to actually get TWO in my own garden was beyond all expectations. It just proves that they are out there and just need a little help.
    I have since built a hog feeding station and rigged up a wildlife camera and have registered as a Champion here on Hedgehog Street.
    I am thrilled.

Beware, hog watching becomes addictive! But they are the cutest things and to have them trust us and visit our gardens is quite wonderful. Btw, they aren’t such good slug eaters as we are told! Our big black slugs share the food bowls! Welcome and enjoy hogwatching.

definately addictive – which is hopefully working to their advantage currently as interest in them rises.
    A friend of mine also posted me a note yesterday evening to say she has spotted a fat hog in her garden for the first time in about 10 years – so immediately put out some water and cat biscuits. (I did suggest that if considered ‘fat’ could be a pregnant female – woo hoo!)
    I suspect they have always been there – but the weather encourages them to garden forage as gardens are watered typically when very hot and they can scavenge what drops from bird tables with the ground too hard to find earthworms and beetles etc.

Undoubtedly a lifesaver for them.

Nic

Hi Emma Tulip

It’s lovely to hear your story about the hogs and natural justice that they are in your garden, especially when you have been trying to help hedgehogs in general. I’m really pleased for you and welcome to the Forum. It must have been amazing for your 8 year old to see his first real life hog! I hope you continue to enjoy their visits.

You mention putting water out and It’s a good idea in this really hot and dry weather to leave water out 24 hours a day in case a hog comes out during the day hot and thirsty (but you probably already know that).

DwarfHog. They do eat slugs, just not the really big ones and they don’t come top of the food list. But they say it is the small ones that actually do most damage to plants so that’s O.K.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog