Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Itchy & Scratchy

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Itchy & Scratchy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    So our friendly neighbourhood hog is still living in its palace under the shed. It only comes out every couple of nights now as its getting colder.
    However last night, the first time in 3 nights he has been caught on the camera, he was doing a lot of itching. Its the most peculiar thing to watch as I never would have thought they could get their legs up there! Most be all that yoga he does!

However… This hog has been in our garden for some time and we have caught it most nights on camera since May/June… And have never seen it do this before.

Is it normal?

He is big and healthy and I can see closely on the camera that he has no sign of anything on his skin.

I don’t want to upset him by taking him anywhere if this is normal for this time of year. I’m presuming like any animal, they may thicken their warm air trapping layers.

Has anyone come across this before?

Hi, I am not qualified but think this is perfectly normal and along with a good shake is how they clean themselves. Certainly all our Hogs and Hoglets enjoy a good scratch and do so frequently. They can certainly reach places you would never thought possible.

Hi there, thats good to know and quite a relief! The big pile of cat food has not been touched yet tonight so I suspect he has gone back to bed for a couple of days, especially as its going to be a chilly week.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog