Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

I’ve been hand feeding a friendly wild hedgehog

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I’ve been hand feeding a friendly wild hedgehog

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I found a hedgehog in my garden a few months ago.

One very early morning I was sat at the garden table with a coffee and kept hearing a rustling noise behind me. There she was, paws up on the edge of the flowerbed just looking at me, as if she wanted something.

I had a pile of mealworms on the table for the birds, so I put some in my hand and offered them to the hedgehog (I now know they’re not meant to eat them so haven’t done it since.)

I was amazed when she clung to my hand with one paw and started eating from my hand. That first morning she hung out with me for ages and was completely relaxed around me. If I see her early in the morning or at dusk, I always offer her some hedgehog treats that I got from the pet shop and she will normally eat them (always holding on to my fingers with one paw which is the cutest thing ever!)

I’ve since tried to Google hand-feeding wild hedgehogs but haven’t found anything.

I don’t know how or why I got so lucky. Perhaps she came from a rescue centre and is used to being around humans? I don’t know. I just hope she never stops. It makes my day.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog