Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

I’ve got really nice suspicion

Home Forums Champions’ chat I’ve got really nice suspicion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Long story – but I live next to one of England’s performing arts school, – and anyway I was able to get my local councillor on board with my local hog hospital to to see if the hospital (along with me) could do a presentation this september – about the hogs that are probably having a party each night in their grounds – (which is really cool because , every one comes in to my garden through the school fence – lots of gaps exactly the right size for hogs – there is a slightly bigger gap for the foxes (just how the fence was)

and anyway – I can recall I might have mentioned that in January (due to him desperately trying to get out of the hutch, didn’t hibernate Calvin, he was a tiny hog – to small to hibernate – well he didn’t stick around – I put him in his wooden house – he slept til around propably 9pm as I kept checking if he had eaten the dog meat that was left in the tunnel – I saw that he had at 9.30pm

and he disappared – then I was absolutely broken because I heard a hog screaming (looked on youtube it was the same sound) for a quite a while – but he was the school grounds so i had to leave him. I was so devestated and I saw 2 teachers having a cig break – and I asked told them this story – and I burst into tears, and they was empathic – and said they’ll get the caretaker to look – but they reported back later on in the week that they found nothing

Since then, i chat to them often – telling about what’s happening with the foxes and the hedgehogs – because technically these wildlife home is in their school – they had no idea about this , one of them mentioned (I did see one once) but they go home 4pm ish – they do regular performances on the evening – but they go straight to car park – so to them its ‘oh there is a hedgehog, look’

Due to Calvin they seemed very happy about this – and every time I see them they always and ask for updates i.e. vixen crying kept my awake all night 12am-4am – and a cub chasing after a rat (the foxes have sorted out my rat problem thankfully, cos that could have been an issue, (if I see one I don’t tell anyone about from people I know outside of the area)

so anyway – we didn’t get to do this presentation – but the school are not dropping litter anymore (real reason why we needed to do the presentation, as they hang around after school and go the big shop near me)

anyway – so I wondered why my hogs are not using their lovely homes – and I’m wondering – as they may have a little more funding, I wonder if they have got some hog homes in their school – because I got my councillor to persuade the school to get the conversation charity I volunteer for – to create a nature area – but everythings gone in lockdown – so I’m wondering whether they had a little of alternative education to the kids that had parents key workers – and wonder if they’ve decided to spend a little bit of cash – when it was quieter and did something themselves perhaps

I hope so – because I worry about what will happen to their homes when I die one day – because my council – said with houses – they would have to contact RSPCA and remove them

oh well I’m staying put anyway -I’ve got plenty of time to work with this school and it sorted – so I’m really excited about that

Nic

Hi HedgieLover

Fingers crossed that you are right and the school have got their own hog houses.

I’m not sure your Council could have the hogs removed – that doesn’t sound right.

But hopefully, anyway, the situation wouldn’t arise for a very long time. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog