Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Juvenile hoglets

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Juvenile hoglets

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi All,
    I put hedgehog food and water out all winter on the off chance that one of my many hedgehogs wake up. In 2016 and 2019 they didn’t all hibernate. Over the last two nights I have rescued 3 juveniles the first one last night weighed 194g and was rushed to a lady who used to run a hedgehog rescue with a sample of poo. She was found to have lungworn, Guardia, t. Foetus, and roundworm she is under weight and dehydrated so really poorly she is going to be touch and go whether she is going to survive but will be given the best chance of survival. After finding her I new that with the amount of hedgehogs I have there was going to be some more September born out there and sure enough two more turned up tonight weighing 279g and 253g. These will all be overwintered as it is too late to release. I have rescued, wintered hedgehogs over several years.

I have rescued another hedgehog tonight, it has had preliminary treatment and has ticks and fleas and weighs 240g. This is a poorly hedgehog with the amount of ticks (which I have removed) and fleas on it the next few days will be critical and it will over winter with me. The other three are thriving and are putting on weight.

Anne

Fingers crossed for them. Some of the hoglets I picked up were just crawling with fleas and parasites. Hopefully they can grow faster when not also feeding all those fleas!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog