Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

keeping rats away from the feeding station

Home Forums Hedgehog tales keeping rats away from the feeding station

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have had a problem with rats entering the hedgehog feeding station,( a riverside hedgehog house) . if a hedgehog is inside they wont go in. I bought 2 humane rat traps , they are 6″x6″ x 12″ and put them on the lawn, but reducing the opening to 2 1/2 x2 1/2 was no good as a large hedgehog even managed to squeeze in, so i put the traps on top of the feeding station . The hedgehogs cant climb up, but rats can , however are wary of the trap and I only caught 2 in last month. Something I did to stop them entering the feeding station was to move the feeding station to 20ft from the edge of the garden – before it was only 10ft . This has done the trick because the rats wont run the gauntlet of a 20ft run to the feeding station because there are cats in the garden

Nic

Hi Stedwomas

Yes, hogs can squeeze through surprisingly small holes! I hope the hog who got in was none the worse for the experience. I also hope the 20ft run is still working. I have found that some rats seem nervous of, i.e. ‘furniture’ being moved around, but others are bolder. So frustrating when the hogs are needing food in the run up to hibernation. But, just be aware that hogs are much better climbers than they are often given credit for.

Perhaps the cats need a good talking to that they are supposed to keep the rats away completely!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog