Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Lawn Weed and Feed

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Lawn Weed and Feed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a healthy population of Hogs and usually have quite a few hoglets each year. I have released hogs for the local Hog Hospital and feed and water them every night. I have boxes and places for them to hibernate. They do OK in general and I keep an eye on them. There are some losses each year of course, I suspect most of the losses are not seen, they will crawl off somewhere quiet to die.
    This year, one of my neighbours ( who I have enlisted into my feeding routine so that when I go on holidays they have lots of nice chicken cat biscuits, peanuts and fresh meat when available) has had two deaths on her front lawn, one an adult male and another a this years juvenile. They were both uninjured ( although I couldn’t see internally) and I puzzled over what could be a cause. She informed me that she had had the lawn treatment man the week before the deaths who used a granulated “weed and feed” treatment on her lawns. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of any toxicity of these chemical as regards hogs?
    Sorry for the long post, my first, so I thought I would give a bit of background ๐Ÿ™‚

Nic

Hi Motorman

Well any chemicals are not good news for the hogs, although, sadly, there are lots of reasons why hedgehogs die – also not always easy to see puncture wounds. But sad to hear about the poor hogs. Don’t forget to enter them on the Big Hedgehog Map (accessed via the home page).

It’s good that you are feeding the hogs, but you might want to check out the chart at the end of the following link re. peanuts and raw meat. Raw meats, in particular, it seems have a pretty bad ratio of phosphorous to calcium. Peanuts not brilliant either.
    http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedgehogs.pdf

I hope that the rest of the hogs there have better luck and continue to do well. Good luck.

OK Nic, point taken re: Peanuts and raw meat, they don’t get them often, I am vegetarian so any meat is at other feeding stations. I will pass info. on to those concerned. As regards peanuts, I will cut those out.

I looked carefully for puncture wounds or any signs of attack ( dogs? Fox?) but found none.

The rest of the hogs are doing well, judging by the amount of food they eat! I estimate I have about 8 regular visitors, I have a trail camera.

I don’t use any chemicals at all, just weak washing up liquid for greenfly on my roses ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog