Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

LITTLE AND LARGE

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings LITTLE AND LARGE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

At least one large hedgehog and 3/4 little ones coming into neighbours garden. We have cut down our fence so they can roam freely. Some crossing road which is a bit of a concern.

Hi Crystal 12, congratulations, wish I could see some little ones, my 3 girls have disappeared to God knows where! I am trying not to worry but like you, its terrifying to know they cross at least 3 roads here. We have 20mph, but no one takes any notice with cars racing around the streets. Two weeks ago we had 4 different coloured fast cars roaring round with exhaust pouring out the same colour as the cars! Horrendous. Poor animals, I don’t know how they survive. Food and rain water put out for them will help make them feel welcome. If your really into this consider a hog house for shelter as well. If your DIY skills are reasonable I’m sure you would enjoy making one. Best wishes.

Nic

Hi Crystal12

Really good to hear you have hogs there! It’s brilliant that they can roam freely between yours and your neighbours garden. The ideal thing for them is if you can get even more people nearby to link their gardens. Hogs can travel up to 2 miles a night, so they need more space than we might imagine.

If loads of gardens are linked (it would be nice if they all were!) there is less need for the hogs to cross roads to find suitable habitat. So that is a really good way to help them and so easy.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

If you don’t leave water out for them already, a source of water all day every day is good. I use wide, but shallow plant saucers, not so deep that a hoglet can get stuck. The wider the better – hogs are very clever at tipping water bowls, etc. over – why walk round a bowl of water when you can walk across it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog