Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Local hedgehog hospital is full beyond capacity

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Local hedgehog hospital is full beyond capacity

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Just seen on news website that my local hedgehog hospital (Shepreth Hedgehog Hospital) is full beyond the capacity!

They have facilities to care for 90 juveniles but are currently caring for 200 😱
    They have said that they can’t take any new admissions (which I totally understand) but are asking for donations of newspaper and dog/cat food.

I am hoping that this is due to people looking out for hedgehogs and wanting to help, which can only be a good thing.

I’ve experienced this with Shepreth for a number of years – even before they had their hedgehog hospital facility up and running.
    Rather frustratingly they don’t pick up calls once overburdened either, just indicating to contact BHPS.
    This process would benefit from better links into local rescuers who could at least provide advise over the phone to desperate people trying to do the right thing.
    Tiggywinkles never turn a rescued species away – but it has led to them needing to house ever increasing numbers over the years.
    I think this situation itself – and its not just Shepreth – supports the need also for more consideration for a Fostering approach that wildlife hospitals could thereby make better use of their time and resources. Tiggywinkles have started to promote this more recently and I have outline a suggestion on this Forum around Fostering benefits also.
    Every hog saved is a precious addition to the numbers much needed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog