Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Maggotts

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I rescued a hog who has a bite wound on his back. Today I removed 5 Maggotts- I found this quite disturbing.
    The hog is eating and drinking and seems ok. He’s on salt baths and antibiotics. I can’t get the vision of his wound with Maggotts out if my mind.
    Any advise.

Hi Bluebean, I read your other post about the 2 hoglet’s, and can’t advise you there, but this sound like a different hog. It must have been awful for you, but I should imagine if he’s on salt baths and antibiotics you should be covered. You are also helping by removing the offenders. I can’t quite remember, but what was the NHS using on people to remove septic and nasties in wounds? I think it was some kind of maggot! You are doing your very best. Good luck.

It is essential that every maggot and fly egg was removed from the wound. It only takes one to hatch and enter the body for the hog to die. You need to get a good look into the wound and make sure it’s all clean – tweezers are best to remove and copious flushing. Fly eggs are sticky though and won’t come off with general washing
    F10 is the best wash out there to kill the eggs and the larvae and you can ask your vet if they are using it and if you could have some
    Time of of the essence with any fly stuck wounds. Keeping your hog warm will make them hatch more quickly
    If the wound is clear then the antibiotics should sort it out quite quickly
    If you plan to look after hogs going forward you will become immune to fly struck wounds as they are very common.
    If you are in any doubt at all then get your hog to the nearest carer with great urgency

I was worried about him this morning so I took him to the vets-they advised to put him to sleep.

The vets charged me £45 to put him to sleep. Even though I don’t mind paying cos he was obviously suffering I thought this was quite harsh as like all of us we self fund the care of injured hedgehogs.

R.I.P little hoggy

Hey Bluebean
    Awe! So sorry 😢 such a disappointment to loose the little hog. But you did your best and it’s good that youve ended the pain for your little spiky friend.
    Expensive, think the vet should have given you a bit of a discount for a wild animal! But I’m sure your piece of mind is worth every penny! x

Hi Bluebean, I’m so sorry, you have done your best for the little one and I’ve shed a tear or two for you. We all dread the day it may come. Not sure I would like your vet and the charges. As an endangered animal and for any wild animal they should do it free. It wasn’t fair to you when you were trying to do your best and was willing to do the nursing of the animal.
    I found the info from Stef very interesting and will try and keep it in mind, so thanks Stef. However, please be aware there are dangers of using tea tree. After listening to a radio program once warning about using exact amounts as more, or less can cause the infection to increase and therefore become difficult to treat. I have never bought any product containing tea tree for many years. I have a lot of essential oils, as I make my own glycerine soap, but I’ve never bought tea tree oil and never will.
    I hope you have more hogs on your patch who will appreciate being looked after by you. My new little one has found the feeding station now, as she was peeping at me from behind a tree trunk, I’ve called her Heidi (hide and seek) Best wishes.

Thanks for your comments.
    I’ve bought in some manuka honey now just in case I get any more injured hogs.
    What are your opinions on manuka honey? (Supervet swears by it!!)
    Sue

Hi Bluebean, they all swear by manuka honey, but have you tried it.? I had a leg injury and went to a wound clinic for 2 months. They put honey on and told me, “people think honey is gentle it hurts but works”. My goodness, I nearly went through the roof and after 3 weeks, and no healing, I refused to have it again. It sets every nerve on edge till you could scream. They then put iodine on, which had to come off as I’m allergic to it, however, it didn’t hurt and vets do use it themselves, so surprised they didn’t suggest it. I’ve previously bought it from a chemist as aquise wash (sorry for spelling) it means it washes off. Someone may have something to say on iodine, but honestly, the honey is agony as every nerve feels like its on fire. As I said, even the nurses warned me it hurt. The poor hog who may have a cut wouldn’t know what hit it. You have spent a lot of money on this and shown your commitment, but I would eat it! Very best wishes.

That’s Manuka honey out then.
    Thanks

Hi Bluebean, the iodine I’ve bought from chemist for use on my pets was Betadine antiseptic solution, aqueous. It is Povidone Iodine 10% which was equal to the vets povidine aqueous when I couldn’t get there. However, it may not be suitable as some could have an allergic reaction just like humans can. Maybe someone knows the answer to this, but I suggest an injured hog should always be taken to a professional for treatment. And yes, just eat or cook with your expensive honey, it really does hurt! Hope your other hog is doing well, my new little one is packing the food away. Best wishes.

I use Manuka frequently with deep infected wounds in hogs. It helps to drain and dry them and works excellently. However it is never used on it’s own, it’s always part of a treatment plan
    I also use it on myself. I have never had pain and have never had a hog in pain with it so I suspect you may have had an allergic reaction to it.
    Iodine is also a good cleaner if you aren’t allergic to it, but some are
    The best treatment for wounds is F10 which you can get in various guises. It kill’s fly eggs and maggots. It also kills fleas and ticks and causes no distress to the animal.
    All injured animals should be taken to an experienced carer or vet without delay

Nic

I have a hedgehog here who had a strimmer injury and a really messy wound – which I suspect a vet may have suggested euthanasia for. She was cured and healed thanks to the dedication of the local wildlife hospital and also thanks in part to manuka honey. She is now back home again being a wild hedgehog.

I completely agree with Steff, that injured animals need to be taken to an experienced carer or vet without delay.

Hi Stef, thanks for your info. I can’t be the only one with the honey as all the nurses said it hurt like billyho. It may of course depend on the depth of the wound, but knowing I was at screaming point for 3 weeks, and it didn’t wear off after application, I wouldn’t use it on anything. As said previously, best to get professional help. Thanks for your many helpful tips, much appreciated. Best wishes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog