Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Making a rainproof feeding station tips please

Home Forums Champions’ chat Making a rainproof feeding station tips please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

So I have bought a large clear plastic box to make a weather proof station for my garden hogs as theyre food keeps getting soaked with all this rain.
    I was just going to turn it upside and cut a hole in it though the rim of the top of the box (does that make sense?) thereby being that the food bowl would just be sitting on the natural ground.

I have just had a look at some photos and I noticed a lot of people were using a box the right way up, cutting a hole in the bottom of the box, and putting the lid on the box with a brick on top. Thereby the food dish is actually inthe box and resting on the box floor usually with newspaper covering it.

Is there a reason for this??? Is either way better or just personal preference??

Thanks heaps.

It may just be personal preference. I have 2 feeding stations of the type you are planning, with the food bowl on the natural ground – in my case the patio and the path. My hogs (I’m lucky enough to get 8 some nights) poo everywhere, including inside the feeding stations. I find I can easily clean this in the morning with a bucket of water and a scrubbing brush but as we don’t buy any newspapers I think I would find it harder with the food and poo on the box floor.

I would definitely go for the box turned upside down without the lid. Then as Catherine says no need for newspaper and you can clean the patio or surface down easily

Hi, we adapted a bird ground feeding cage by cutting a hog size hole in one corner, adding a sheet of plastic to the roof and finishing it off with some left over willow fencing to make it look a little nicer! So far it’s been very successful – the hedgehogs love it and the foxes and cats haven’t been able to access the food, although they’ve tried 😉

We are new to this site. Is there a way to add a photo or a link to this post so I could share what we’ve done? xx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog