Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Making dog-proof hedgehog holes

Home Forums Champions’ chat Making dog-proof hedgehog holes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to encourage neighbours to link their gardens with hedgehog ports. Many of these would be made through metal mesh fences or thin closeboard wooden fences with vertical boards above a horizonal wood gravel board.
    But some neighbours own dogs that show too much interest in hedgehogs and dig or chew, to enlarge and maybe even escape through hedgehog holes. Not all dogs do this, of course, but some do, and their owners end up blocking the holes. A similar problem is neighbours with pet rabbits afraid of admitting foxes through hedgehog holes.
    I need a solution that’s convincing, cheap, quick and easy to fit and available/makeable in numbers. I like the idea of fitting a surround over a fence hole, but the hedgehog hole surrounds I’ve seen for sale are mainly plastic ones that won’t withstand a determined dog, and they’re open at the bottom so could be dug under. (Not to mention how stupid some of them look!)
    Do other people have the same problem? Have you come up with any better solutions?

Nic

Hi Sylfest

There is an interesting idea of using one of those breeze blocks with holes in them. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pets-and-hedgehogs/

Maybe a drain pipe could be used, similar to those used for cat deterring feed boxes. I think I’ve seen pictures of them being used under fences as well. I’ll put the link for feed boxes in the next post.

Nic

There’s a photo of a feeding box with a pipe ‘entrance’ at the end of this:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/feed-hedgehogs/

Nic
    Nic

Also found this one https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/ – photo at the end with a drain pipe under a fence.

Good luck. I hope you manage to find a solution.

Hi Nic,
    Thanks for your good wishes and helpful suggestions!
    The perforated breeze block looks useful, and I’ll certainly follow that one up.
    I still don’t think I’ve found a general solution to persuading a property owner who wants a neat boundary and worries about a small dog exiting or foxes entering. The plastic pipe would also need some sort of clamp fitting to secure it to a fence to prevent dislodgement by digging animals.
    Has anyone cracked the problem of cheap, easily fitted and neat dog-proof hedgehog holes through wire link fences?

Hi Sylfest,

Good luck! I will be following this as my neighbours are very reluctant in placing hedgehog highways. If I come up with any successes will let you know!

Emily

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog