Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Making the most of the Big Hedgehog Map

Home Forums Champions’ chat Making the most of the Big Hedgehog Map

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I always use the Big Hedgehog Map to report sightings, especially road kill, as sad as it is, it’s so important to identify areas of high road deaths so that maybe we can do something about it.
    On my travels around North Yorkshire this summer, I picked up two areas; Bainbridge and Great Ayton where there was evidence of hedgehog roadkill in a few places in each village. For me it’s not enough just to report on the map-I really want to do something proactive. So I’ve been thinking of ways that I could do this since my return.
    Finally came up with the idea of contacting the local schools and highlighting the Hedgehog Friendly Campus http://www.hedgehogfriendlycampus.co.uk initiative as a way of getting people interested in hedgehogs in their area. Early days but we’ll see what sort of responses I get.

Nic

Well done, Seagull Sue – and a good idea to make use of the Hog Map. As it sounds as if you are good at campaigning, you might be interested in some of the ideas in here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/how-to-help-without-a-garden/

Ignoring the bit about ‘without a garden’ there are ideas that anyone could try even if they do have a garden.

Let us know how you get on, or if you have any more ideas which others might also like to try.

Good luck.

Good luck Seagull Suzie, I hope your campaign sparks a flame!
    I live in a small market town in North Yorkshire; had a conversation recently with someone that began along the lines of “the only time you see hedgehogs is squashed on the road these days” I was horrified!

Thanks Nic, yes I’d seen that leaflet, it’s very useful and a great idea to get people thinking that you don’t need a garden to help wildlife. Have you seen Wild Things Keyworth who won the recent award? What a lot of work they’ve done.

Hi Celest, it’s just so annoying when this is people’s reaction, but I know that it shows a complete lack of understanding-so education is the only way forward.
    I get this a lot too, and also a ‘look around at how green and lovely it is here’ comment, which again shows why we need to help people realise what the environment is like for hedgehogs-being green and lovely isn’t enough!
    The truth of that statement you quoted is that if there are dead ones-there must be live ones…and that’s what people need to understand and start to make those places more hedgehog friendly.
    Someone around Reeth area is very busy mapping dead and alive hogs on the map, which is great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog