Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Many hedgehogs in my garden

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Many hedgehogs in my garden

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We have regular visitors to our garden, for instance there were three definite hogs on our back lawn last night. In the early hours of Friday morning there were five on the front lawn at the same time. Unfortunately there’s no facility on the hedgehog map to enter multiple entries and are we supposed to enter every sighting we see? I tried entering last night’s sighting but every time I tried, my computer timed out. It’s very frustrating.

Nic

Hi Adrian

I know, the Big Hedgehog Map can be frustrating – I know I gave up before all the hogs were logged, but I did log quite a few, so it was obvious there was a good population in the area. You do have to register each hog separately, or you did last time I tried, but it is worth doing it to give a better idea of where there are groups of hogs. So not every sighting you see (because you might be seeing the same hog again), but when you know there are a certain number of hogs around. So when you saw 5 at once you could enter all of those. Like you, I wish you could enter 5 in one go!

I totally agree with last 2 posts. I feed hedgehogs and get daily sightings of 5+ at a time but can see no way to record these number of sightings. I certainly don’t have time to enter sightings every day on map, and am sure I am not the only one who has given up adding sightings due to these frustrations. This makes me question the purpose and validity of data taken from the present Hedgehog map. Maybe the map can be updated so more interactive and user friendly to encourage a quick and accurate method of recording sightings, maybe with drop down boxes of dates and numbers seen.

Nic

Hi Bluebird

Maybe it would be a good idea if you emailed Emily (Hedgehog Officer, who is responsible for Hedgehog Street) on hedgehog@ptes.org with your ideas for the Big Hedgehog Map. I’m not sure whether they read everything we chat about on the Forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog