Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Markings on hedgehogs.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Markings on hedgehogs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We’ve been lucky enough to have hedgehogs coming into our garden for twenty seven years. This year we have had three different hedgehogs coming, and I must say I am amazed at the different markings on them, I thought they were all the same, but no, we’ve had a light coloured one, a dark coloured one, and one with white marks on his back that comes regular. It an easy way to recognize them, but what a shock we’ve had after all these years. Has anyone else noticed different markings?

Nic

Hi elsa60

I’m glad you’ve raised this subject again and that you have realised, independently, that they all look different. I have written many times on here trying to encourage people to identify their visiting hogs by their natural markings instead of artificially marking them. My profile pic is a sort of template to help people make sketches of their faces to help with identification in the future. The markings on their face can be very varied.

By recognising hogs in this manner I have in the past been able to recognise hogs year after year. Like you I started ‘by mistake’. I just started recognising certain hogs and then more and more of them. Making sketches and notes is really useful, as you then have a record. I used to draw a face and a side view of the whole hog, with notes, to keep as a record.

There are many different characteristics to look out for. The colour and shade of their skirts, their spines, the band between them, and the face of course. (whether they have a star – as in a horse- whether any dark comes up to the eyes, bars across the face above the nose, etc.) Sometimes even their legs and feet can be useful. Some hogs have blotches of different colours, or pale feet, etc.

The problem is that there are certain people who have begun to excessively mark hogs and this is not only bad for the hedgehog and possibly even the hedgehog population, but also sometimes covers up their natural markings. It is possible that the white marks on top of the hog, which you mention, could be artificial.

Good luck with continuing to identify them. You might find there are even more than you think when you start looking at them really closely!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog