Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Mealworms: the dangers of feeding an inappropriate diet to hedgehogs

Home Forums Champions’ chat Mealworms: the dangers of feeding an inappropriate diet to hedgehogs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’ve just come across this video from Caroline Gould at Vale Wildlife regarding the dangers of feeding an inappropriate diet to hedgehogs, with particular reference to mealworms and sunflower hearts. Certainly makes for very interesting viewing. I only feed good quality cat biscuits to my visiting hogs, with plenty of water, of course.

Unfortunately, the link to the video doesn’t seem to be working, but you should be able to view on on Vale Wildlife’s Facebook page.

Yve

Sorry, I posted this too. I didn’t see your post. But it’s so important that I’ll leave my post up as well. (I think the link is working on mine, thanks to son lol)

Thanks, Yve, I don’t know why the link didn’t work but I’m glad you have posted it. Too many people seem to feed totally unsuitable food to hedgehogs leaving them with appalling health problems, not just metabolic bone disease but also tooth decay. It’s wonderful that people care enough to feed hedgehogs but the food must be appropriate.

This message is clearly not getting thru- please highlight this problem on the front page for all to see to draw attention to this problem.

Thanks

Mealworms should be a treat only, approx 6/week is sufficient and sunflower hearts contain oil, both conducive to heart failure. I have experimented with every retailed food item, provided homemade concoctions and 3 years later have found Vitakraft Premier Menu to be the most widely preferred. This ideally should be a supplement only.
    I have a 100% wildlife friendly garden with native planting and habitats to provide the best possible natural diet, which is always preferable.
    Please consider quantity as it is feasible that if everyone is feeding in your neighbourhood, then the hogs could be overfed. A fat hog is never a happy one!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog