Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Meet Iovita

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Meet Iovita

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

hoggie

Meet Iovita, pictured last night after a visit to the feeding station before foraging in the undergrowth.

I have chosen the name Iovita as I’m unsure of gender and this can be either. Iovita is derived from the Ancient Roman god Jove and means ‘glad’.

I was concerned to see Iovita out at 8pm last night, well before dark. I have a feeling that Iovita might be female so think maybe she had hogs at home so came out to forage earlier than normal. Apart from that she seemed healthy and was happy munching on whatever she found in the undergrowth.

hog1

Has anyone else seems hogs out so early in the evening or is it nothing to worry about?

Hi Kissy,

At this time of year, nursing mothers are very often seen out at dusk or dawn talking a break from the kids/hoglets. With the nights being so short, they have very little time to fit everything in. As long as she was walking purposefully, looked healthy and didn’t have a trail of flies behind her, I wouldn’t have thought that there was anything to worry about. I captured one on video last night at 8.45pm; she managed to scoff her way through a whole dish of cat biscuits, drank gallons of water and then rushed back through the hole in the fence. 🙂

Hi Penny
    I thought this may be the case but thought of best to check to be on the safe side before anything else.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog