Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

messy fussy feeders

Home Forums Hedgehog tales messy fussy feeders

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

is this common.
    Have a regular every night hog, have seen 2 on occasions could be more? but 1 regular as clockwork.
    Had previously brought the Webbox dried food which got cleared up.
    This year i got Spikes which gets eaten but always left with a load of crumbs.
    gets to a point where i have 2 trays, one filled with the left over crumbs and one with new complete pieces and as usual it has a feed on the new leaving a load of crumbs. but not touching the bowl of crumbs.
    (Even the magpies do not seem interested in the crumbs)
    i also notice that spikes and Weebox have the same manufacture address although they are different shaped.
    Getting to the end of the spikes, any thoughts on what others find before ordering another big bag of something.

Nic

Hi gary101a

Hogs are a bit inclined to like to eat what they know. So that if you suddenly change foods mid-hedgehog season it’s not unusual for them to go on strike and refuse to eat it. But maybe the Spikes is just more crumbly.

I would be inclined to do a bit of research and see if the Webbox actually has the same ingredients as the Spikes – and if so, may be cheaper (?)

was the webbox last year, been the spikes this year. so no sudden change.

Nic

Hi gary101a

Yes, I really meant if you changed now, they might not like it. But they will eat it if they are hungry and probably anyway after a few days. But yes, the best time to introduce a change of diet is when they come back from hibernation.

I’m using kitten biscuits at the moment, which seem to go down well and no crumbs. Also help to keep their teeth clean. That’s partly because there’s been a rat around, I normally mix it with a hedgehog food – no crumbs there either, but I suspect the birds might have been hoovering them up if there were any left.

But if you found something the hogs like, I would stick with it. It sounds from what you said as if there is no obvious advantage to Spikes over Webbox. I have heard from other people that that there are some hog foods, made by the same people with the same ingredients but with different brand names, packaging, etc., sometimes one cheaper than the other. Hence my suggestion of a bit of research.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog