Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Mice!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I was very confused the other day to discover all the food in my hogiloo had disappeared but the camera had not picked up any sign of visitors. The next day I installed a new feeding station especially adapted to incorporate my camera so I could watch the hedgehog feeding. Much to my surprise I discovered the reason for the disappearing food – a cheeky little mouse has discovered my offerings and had helped itself to all of it!
    Has anyone else had their feeding station ambushed by a mouse, and if so do you have any suggestions for how to deal with it? Much as I want to encourage as much wildlife as possible to my garden, I don’t particularly want to be overrun with mice. I’ve designed the feeding station specifically to keep out the cars and larger animals but am baffled by how I can keep out anything smaller than a hedgehog. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nic

Hi jmelli1969

I do get mice visiting from time to time – although none quite as industrious as the one there sounds! I usually just tolerate them as they don’t seem to eat that much. Numbers have never increased above 2 that I’ve seen. I don’t think there is any way you can keep them out and let hogs in.

I have had a rat visiting here for a couple of nights doing a similar thing, though. I suspected it was caching, because it was backwards and forwards too quickly. I’ve no idea where that cache is, but then it started going into an empty hog box and next morning there was a pile of kitten biscuits which were meant for the hogs. Very irritating, but also have to have a little admiration for it’s hard work. Whether it’s actually going to eat any of it’s cache is another matter. A previous rat that visited just wouldn’t touch kitten biscuits at all. I haven’t managed to outwit this one yet, but still not given up!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog