Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Missing Hedgehog!

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Missing Hedgehog!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I have been putting out food and water over the summer and have been lucky enough to have a couple of regular visiting hedgehogs. A few months ago I bought a hedgehog house and in the past month there was a hedgehog sleeping in there every day. S/he would be in the house every day, but for the past 4 days the hedgehog hasn’t been in the house and the food hasn’t been touched. Is this something that happens with hedgehogs? I am just a bit worried that my hedgehog has come to harm or in trouble 🙁

There was one night where it didn’t come out, but it had rained all day so I wondered if it was due to bad weather. I was thinking maybe the hedgehog got caught out in bad weather somewhere and that is why it hasn’t come back? Anyone with similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi

To be honest it’s impossible to answer your question. Hogs don’t like the rain particularly
    It’s coming up to hibernation time so it’s possible they have gone into it or just found another garden they prefer
    Hogs build 3 types of nests – a day nest, which could be what they’ve been using your house for. A birthing nest which is more substantial and a hiberniculum for hibernating. This is very substantial, and they can build several to use over the winter. So it’s also possible that it’s moved into one of them.
    The best advice I can give it to continue putting out food and water. Leave some dry leaves or hay by the hedgehog house ( they prefer to build their own nests ) and DON’T keep checking the hog house or they won’t stay there.
    Good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog