Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Missing hedgehogs

Home Forums Champions’ chat Missing hedgehogs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I have had two hedgehogs living in my garden for the last year. Even though I had bought hedgehog houses they had decided they preferred living under the decking. I have been feeding them daily and every night they spend most of the time in my garden (I have put up some wildlife cameras). However a couple of weeks they both disappeared, one left and then the other a few days later. This happened about the same time I planted some lavender, so just wondering if it’s possible that the hogs did not like the smell?

Nic

Hi timt

I haven’t heard that hogs don’t like lavender, but they do have a very good sense of smell, so I suppose if there was loads of it it might be a bit overpowering. But hogs do tend to disappear from time to time, sometimes for no obvious reason, so it may not be anything to do with the lavender.

I would keep offering food and especially water and hope that they return soon.

Good luck.

hi timt

I planted a lot of lavender in my front garden this spring and have noticed a couple of hog poos near the plants so they must still be visiting the front.

I have always put food and the trailcamera out in my back garden, which contains the feeding station and wildflower patch as well as linking to a lane which runs behind all the houses (and seems to be a local hog super-highway)
    So I am less familiar with hog activity at the front but will keep an eye out for more poo near the lavender.

Thank you for the responses Nic and Mags63.

Glad to hear that it’s unlikely that the lavender has driven them away. I originally had one hog living in the garden and she disappeared for a couple of weeks last summer so hopefully they will return. I am checking the feeding stations every day and change the water so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog