Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

More autumn hoglets than usual !

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog More autumn hoglets than usual !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I hope it’s OK for me to copy & paste this tidbit I read in today’s online Guardian (accompanied by a lovely pic of the babies eating:) )
    So it seems the mild autumn has been the reason for a boom in late hoglets.

“”The Scottish SPCA has said it is caring for more than 100 hedgehogs and is appealing for help to feed them. The charity is recording admissions of young hogs because the animals have been giving birth later in the year due to the mild autumn.
    Photograph: Scottish SPCA/PA””

Hi,

We have a young hedgehog visit our garden over the last few nights. We have a hedgehog house with straw in it, and we have put out food and water.

The hedgehog weights about 310g, so we were wondering if he/she would be ok? Its quite cold here tonight, so would it be worth putting a blanket over the hedgehog house (leaving the entrance open) or does the hedgehog need rescuing?

Thanks,

Mark

Nic

Hi Mark

It sounds as if the little one is a bit on the small side and also hasn’t been a regular visitor, so I would be inclined to contact your local rescue and take their advice. They will be familiar with the weather conditions in your area and you can explain the position more fully to them.

Putting a blanket over the box is probably not going to make very much difference.

You can get contact details of your nearest hog carers/rehabilitators by ringing 01584 890801

Good luck. I hope all goes well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog