Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Moving a hedgehog home temporarily for garden landscaping

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Moving a hedgehog home temporarily for garden landscaping

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We have a lovely hedgehog who has been regularly visiting our garden for the past few years (since we moved in). We’re about to have some necessary landscaping work done and in preparation, we have been digging up some plants to pot them – today as I was digging I heard a hissing noise and saw some leaves shuffling and realised that the little hedgehog had made a home amongst the ferns!

Pretty much all of the beds in the garden will be dug up for a new retaining wall, replacing decking etc. so I don’t know what to do with the hedgehog.

Would moving him to my neighbour’s garden be too much? I had already planned to make a home for him when the garden was re-done, but not sure what to do for the 4-5 weeks while the work is done! Any help/advice would be appreciated!

I suspect as you’ve already disturbed the hog it will have moved on. At this time of year they will be starting to look to build a hiberniculum to overwinter in. You cannot move the hog – it won’t stay where you put it anyway. The best thing you could do is make an alternative home and hope it moves in.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog