Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Moving Hedgehogs

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Moving Hedgehogs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello, we have had hedgehog ‘sightings’ in our garden the last few weeks and tonight, noticed at dusk a rustling coming from under a tarp covering our wooden garden recliner. Low and behold some careful peeking with a camera shows two hedgehogs in there. It sounds like a lot of noise so I suspect mating. We are really pleased they are in the garden but can’t leave them under the recliner tarp (it gets used every week). My wife has bought a hedgehog house/hut which we will get in a couple of days and we intend to leave the hedgehogs be until we get it. However, what is the best way to move them without scaring them or hurting them? I was thinking wait until dusk and if they ‘go out’ for the night we could then remove the tarp and put the new house in a nearby place with some cat biscuits inside. Welcome any advice!!!

Nic

Hi Ajmartin

Good news that you have hedgehogs in the garden! I imagine that if they were involved in courtship activities under the tarp that they won’t be there any longer.

Brilliant that you are getting a hog house. If the hogs, or one hog, is still under the tarp, I would place the hog house fairly near and hope that it moves into it (as you suggested). As long as there is a suitable location nearby. But give them a chance to move without removing the tarp. If a hog has built a nest under the tarp, you shouldn’t remove it. If you put a small amount of bedding into the house it might give a hog the idea to move in, but place more suitable materials nearby – i.e. long grasses, medium sized leaves, etc. Many hogs like to do their own interior decorations!

I wouldn’t put food into the hog house, if you are hoping for it to be used for nesting. (Some people use hog houses only for placing supplementary food in, but that’s a bit different).

Good luck. Hope it all ends up well.

Hi
    We’ve got several hog houses that are feeding houses really. The hogs come out at night and tuck in then go on thier merriment. But we are moving soon to a villiage just 5 minutes away. The problem we have is one little hog has recently decided that once he’s eaten he just stays in one or other of the houses. Been like that for serevel weeks now. What shall we do? Turf him out? Take him with us? He’s all safe and snug and it’s a right dilemma. Please advise. Thanks.

Nic

Hi Joparrot

Is there any chance you can leave any hog box which is being occupied behind and have a word with the people who move in there. You should definitely not take him with you, but if you mean 5 minutes walking, he might visit where you move to as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog