Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Moving house

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Moving house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We are moving house but have 2 hedgehogs that live in our garden. Would it be awful if we took them with us. I’m worried the new owners won’t feed them.

Nic

Hi Pooh72

I understand your sentiments but yes, it would be awful if you took them with you. The hedgehogs won’t have been spending their time exclusively in your garden, even if they have been nesting there recently. They have ranges which they get to know very well and if they were taken elsewhere they would likely be disoriented and find it very stressful.

It is also possible that they could introduce infection, to which they may themselves be resistant, into another area, potentially putting any hedgehogs in the new area at risk.

It’s entirely possible that those two hedgehogs are known to other people in the area. Male hedgehogs can apparently travel up to 2 miles in their nightly wanderings. So others may already been keeping an eye on them.

There is more information in this: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/guidance-on-releasing-rehabilitated-hedgehogs/ It is about releasing hedgehogs after they have been with carers, but applies similarly.

I don’t know what the circumstances are, i.e. would you have an opportunity to speak to the prospective owners and tell them about the hogs/ ask neighbours to keep an eye on them/ leave some information about hedgehogs in the house/etc.

Good luck with your move – hopefully there will be hedgehogs where you move.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog