Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Multi Hogs?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Multi Hogs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi fellow Hog lovers, after building a feeding station and putting it next to a home-made Hog home we seem to have at least three hogs coming every night to the feeding station. We film each night, the first hog there is a sprightly young one and appears to polish off the food leaving nothing for the rest of the gang. He always seems to come between 9pm and 10 pm. We don’t want to disappoint the other hogs who arrive later at different times in the night and seem to be pooing in the feeding station as a protest? We are wondering whether we should have a second sitting and put more food out at about 10:30 pm… Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi nifad. I did have a similar thing happening here. One big hog would polish off all the wet food early evening. At first I just replenished the dishes but for the past few weeks I have just doubled the amount of food and dishes I put out 🙂
    I think it was nic here who said hogs don’t ‘”overeat’ ” but must say they are certainly getting through a lot lately. I have noticed some dry food left in the morning last couple of days, but the blackbirds seem to love hoggie biscuits so nothing wasted !

Nic

Hi nifad

Wild animals don’t tend to overeat unless in captivity, but there is often an exception to every rule! But especially at this time of year when the hogs are trying to put on the two types of fat they need for hibernation, I would also be inclined to put out more food. That is unless you might have a cat visiting, because they would likely just eat it all! But hopefully, if you’re filming you would have noticed.

If you have several hogs visiting, I would leave several bowls/dishes a bit apart if possible. i.e., maybe more than one feedbox. Hogs often poo in the hog boxes, even if there is food available, so I wouldn’t read too much in to it. Some people see it as a thankyou! Always better if they don’t stand in it too much, though!

Good luck with the hogs. I hope they have a successful hibernation time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog