Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Multiple sightings in our garden!

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Multiple sightings in our garden!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Although we have been feeding our regular little visitors to the garden for the past two/three years we have been amazed at the numbers now visiting this autumn. We don’t mark them for identification but clearly we are seeing different individuals as their sizes and colouring varies a little plus we had a large one with too much smaller ones at one time. We are guessing we are getting at least six regularly each night which have been caught on camera!
    Earlier in the year they were much slower too but now they seem to be in a rush. What’s going on?We live near BAE at Warton. Has anyone else seen hedgehogs in such vast numbers.

Nic

Hi Judith

It’s lovely to hear that your hedgehog numbers have increased. (I’m glad to hear you don’t mark them.) It isn’t unusual to have six visiting in a night. It sounds to me as if you might have hoglets of various ages visiting, if they are varying in size so much. I find that often they seem to appear, as if from nowhere, at this time of year. One year I had 12 hoglets turn up (not all together!) Not sure about the rushing around – maybe the exuberance of youth! Good luck with them all.

We have been lucky with regards to our new friend, we first saw our hedgehog
    four weeks ago and stared putting food out for it right away.
    Our new friend has been coming to our garden every night now and arrives around 10.30pm/11pm.
    Our hedgehog is very camera shy and it took many attempts before we got our
    best photo.
    We have been living in our home for four years and last month was the first time we’ve seen a hedgehog in our area let alone in our garden (Ryde Isle of Wight).

Hello WDCThe Hogmaster,

good to hear that hogs are alive and kicking on the Isle of Wight. I think, if I have read correctly, that the Isle of Wight is flagging low hog numbers via the Big Hedghog Location Map. But that could just be down to lower ratio of hog spotters. I see from your photo that they look the same at the mainland ones – some of our British Isles have very fair / blonde ones (Alderney I think).

I too this year have had multiple visits. 5 different individuals, sometimes as many as 4 in one evening, sometimes 2 together. Have had 2 so far this evening. I’ve not known it so busy!

Ignore. Trying to upload a picture without success.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog