Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

My cat Harper was a hedgehog champion!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales My cat Harper was a hedgehog champion!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My previous cat Harper (RIP) was a wonderful little being with a big heart. He was afraid of most wildlife (birds, mice, frogs, snails… you name it) and hedgehogs in particular terrified him. However, if he saw any animal in distress he came to let me know. As a result we saved a rabbit, frogs, assorted birds and on one memorable occasion a hedgehog, which was terrifically brave of him. He fetched me and stood well back but made sure he showed me where to look. The poor little hedgehog was curled up in broad daylight and absolutely covered in ticks. I put it safely into a box and phoned a local rehabber. She took it into her care immediately and gave it a bath and a lengthy spa session to remove all those pesky ticks! After that it was going to a foster home to fatten up sufficiently as it was underweight. She said that if we hadn’t found it when we did it may well have been a different outcome. I would never have spotted it where it was if Harper hadn’t shown me where to look. He was a little hero.

Nic

Love that willigogs!

Harper the hog hero! What a very special cat he must have been.

Ahh, that’s a very special cat.
    My cat is an older gentleman now and he just watches our hedgehog visitors from afar.
    The cat next door does sit amongst them sometimes (surrounded by 4 on one occasion), and only once did he raise a paw when one hedgie sneaked up behind him and touched his tail. The hog rolled up into a semi ball and the cat walked off after deciding that those prickles were a bit painful! Two seconds later the hog just unrolled and carried on eating, no worse the wear for his feline encounter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog