Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

My first sighting for a long time

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings My first sighting for a long time

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I was sat in my garden at about 01:50, and heard a faint rustling in the undergrowth. At first I thought it was a cat, both my neighbours and I have cats, but as it appeared from my very poorly managed weed/stinging nettle ‘grass’ onto my patio I could see it was a hedgehog.
    Then it walked along the side of my patio and off under my side gate.
    I’m sure I could hear more rustling coming from the end of my garden, but couldn’t really hear over the noise of next doors water feature. There are some old roof panels leaning against my fence at the end of my garden and wonder if there’s any hoglets up there.
    I’ve left a bowl of water out tonight and will put some cat food out for it/them tomorrow evening.
    I haven’t been this excited for years.

Isn’t it lovely!! and exciting!! hope your excitement turns into hoglets!

My dog has been very agitated recently. I saw the poor little hedgehog curled up by the gate and chased the dog off. I have a shed (where hedgehogs used to live) and a summerhouse- both raised off the ground and saw two hogs near the summerhouse. Ive put out water in several places and I have a pond but the dog finds the hedgehog food and snaffles it. I havent seen a hedgehog for a couple of years- dont know if this is the same ones.

Try building a dog-free feeding station with a plastic crate. Cut a hole in one end and put the food at the other so the dog can’t ‘fish’ it out. Even better if you can put a brick just inside the crate far enough In for the hogs to shimmy round or over it! The crates arent a thing of beauty but they seem to keep out cats! Sadly , they do attract those monster slugs that hogs don’t eat! But at least it’s then easy to catch them and dispose of them!

I made a feeding station out of a large plastic storage box, it did not take the hogs long to find it, it is not very elegant, but is in a quiet corner of the garden near my small wild life pond and garden. I have a camera set up to watch the comings and goings of the hogs, (and the neighbours cat!) They visit several times a night, and the bowls are usually empty by the morning.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog