Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

My Hedgehogs have left

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings My Hedgehogs have left

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

About two weeks ago we discovered a mother hog and 4 hoglets living under a Red Hot Poker plant in our garden (just under our bay window so very close). i put out cat food every night and they eat it all. Now they have suddenly all gone. I understand that they don’t stay together as a family unit but hoped that at least one would stay. Any ideas why they would go?

Nic

Hi Alison-Essex

How lovely to have had hoglets in your garden!

It might just be that the hoglets are beginning to explore further afield. But hedgehogs do tend to disapper from certain areas sometimes, and everyone always get worried, but usually they eventually return. Although, with hoglets it’s likely they won’t all return – they might find new ranges for themselves. (Hedgehogs have ranges rather than territories and those ranges overlap).

I would keep leaving out a bit of food for them and definitely water. It’s best to leave out water all day every day. Fingers crossed that at least Mother hog eventually returns and hopefully also a hoglet or two.

If I was a hoglet, and due to leave the nest, I would want to explore the world – so I think that might be the mentality of why they might leave.

I think I would be more concerned if they spent all summer in just one nest, and didn’t even explore your garden, I’d want to tell them that they might be missing out on some exiting stuff.

The problem is, we constantly worry about them, their safety, so we would prefer if they stay safe and secure in the nest we have provided for them, but I don’t know if that would be beneficial for them long term.

I’m sure, as Nic said. some will return, now they know where some tasty food is.

Problem is, you aren’t likely to recognise them when they get bigger and return, so you’ll be left worrying if they are ok – but I feel on the whole, it’s probably best if they go off and explore, see what’s out there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog