Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

“My” Hedgie

Home Forums Champions’ chat “My” Hedgie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone. This is my first post since registering with Hedgehog Street a while ago and thought it time I shared my first ever experience, that I can remember, seeing a living hedgehog. I’m in my 60’s now and surely I must have seen one in my younger days, but there you are.
    It was 26 September this year, about 9 o’clock, I went out to the dustbin. Standing for a short while looking round the garden for some movement; it was dark but just enough light to see – absolutely nothing!
    So I went back to the house and I can only describe it as a “WOW” moment. There sat at the back door step was Hedgie. Quite a moment. He was breathing heavily and so was I, both obviously startled.
    I’d been feeding “something” for a while, not knowing for sure just what. I suppose it was his way of saying, “You wanted to see me, here I am”.
    He was quite large, maybe not surprising as he had found himself somewhere else to eat. I had been putting a bowl of soft food and a bowl of crunchie food in the feeder and a bowl of water, and he – or she – or they – were demolishing the lot each night.
    I took a photograph of him, but I don’t know how to get it onto this site, and I would have loved you to see him. Maybe another time.
    I’ve done various things to the garden this year to encourage hedgehogs to visit – feeding, shelter, housing, that sort of thing.
    He started hibernating 1st November but I don’t think he’s with me. But I do wish him and hedgehogs everywhere a safe hibernation, a good healthy life and look forward to seeing him again and any others that choose to visit my garden.
    The sad fact is, they won’t all survive hibernation, but if we all do our bit for our Hedgies, there has to be a better chance for more and more of these wonderful creatures everywhere.
    I’ve “gone on” quite a bit, sorry about that, but thank you for giving me the chance to share this with you and catch you again sometime, yeah?

Nic

Hi Steve McCormick and welcome to the Forum!

It’s lovely to hear about your hog ‘adventures’. So glad that you got to see him/her. I can quite understand what a wow moment that must have been! Yes, you’re right that not all will survive hibernation, but fingers crossed for them all and I hope that one will be back safe and well in the Spring.

You can put photos on here, if they are already on the internet somewhere and then you can just add a link. But you can also add photos to the gallery or video to Hedgehog Street YouTube. More info: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/photographing-hedgehogs/

Hi Steve, sounds like a great experience 👍. You need to upload the photo to a photo sharing website like Google Photos, Dropbox, Flickr (all free to use) and many others then share the link here it’s really easy to do

Nic

There is no need for anyone to open their own account, Bushsnuffler – Hedgehog Street has it’s own YouTube account, as mentioned above. Not everyone wants to open their own.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I’ll get there one way or another (it’s mi age, you know!) Chat again soon – when I’ve figured it.

This site has no way of uploading a photo directly to your post from your computer Nic so if you want to share a photo within your post you do need an account with Google Photos, Dropbox etc.
    Yes you can add a photo to the gallery on the website but there is no way of then putting a link to that specific photo directly into your post so people can see what you’re talking about. Please correct me if I’m wrong

Nic

Yes, Bushsnuffler, I did say above to Stephen “You can put photos on here, if they are already on the internet somewhere and then you can just add a link.”

But it is also possible to copy a link from the Hedehog Street You Tube, for those who do not wish to open their own account.

Likewise it seems it’s possible to copy links from the photo gallery.

I was basically just agreeing with your first post here Nic but to add a link from the internet you need to have an account (i.e. an email address and password) with whatever website you are using.

Stephen specifically mentioned taking a photo and it is not possible to add one single photo to Hedgehog Street or any other YouTube channel as it does not accept that type of file (I’ve tried). You can make a video out of a photo or series of photos but this requires using a photo/video editor before you upload it.

I checked again and I agree you can add a link to Hedgehog Street gallery so thanks for pointing that out as I didn’t think it was possible, presumably this takes some time so you would have to upload the photo a few days before adding the link to your post.

When I set up my own YouTube channel it was mainly to be able to share videos with friends and family but at the time Hedgehog Street had a 50 MB limit on video uploads and I find an average 1 minute video on my cameras is around 300-400 MB so I couldn’t see a way of getting under the 50 MB limit without either setting the camera to very short clips or reducing the resolution which I didn’t want to do. When I’ve tried to edit videos down afterwards it normally increases the file size massively so that didn’t seem to be an option either. I see that Hedgehog Street now has a way of uploading larger files using MailBigFile so I will no doubt give that a go at some point.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog