Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Nest attracting flies

Home Forums Champions’ chat Nest attracting flies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi there

We have a hedgehog family – mum & 2 hoglets – nesting in our flowerbed which is very sheltered with lots of low shrubs.

As the weather gets warmer the nest is really attracting flies and I’m worried about them causing health problems. Is there anything we can do about this other than keep an eye on the hedgehogs?

Thanks for any advice.

Nic

Hi NiksUB

Are you sure the hogs are still using the nest. It does sound a bit worrying if they are still using it and there are a lot of flies around – it might indicate that there is something there which is dead or very ill. If you think there might be a sick or injured hedgehog there you can find your nearest hog carer by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801 and take their advice. If, for instance a hog receives an injury it is not long before flies will start laying eggs on it.

If you don’t already have a hog house, you could think about getting/making one and hope that the family move in there. You will need to ensure there is some nesting material around as well, although it depends a bit on how well grown the hoglets already are – once they are out and about it’s not too long before they start to go it alone.

I’m keeping a close watch. Mum and babies all look very healthy. They are definitely still using the nest to sleep in the day – I think they’ve got a bit careless and have shuffled their leaves so they have a ‘sunroof’ – maybe that’s why the flies are interested. They take little walks by themselves so I think they might be moving on soon. Our garden opens onto woodland so they have plenty of options.

And I’m definitely going to invest in a hog house!

I am having a hog house made, when will they start to nest for the winter?

Nic

Hi 0363Debi

I would get the house as soon as poss. because they sometimes take a while to ‘accept’ them. Nesting material is as important as an actual house. Preferred materials are medium sized leaves, long grasses, etc. They are best left near to the box so the hogs can choose what to take in. Putting a handfull of leaves in the box can give them the idea.

Good luck I hope you get a tenant.

NiksUB, do you still see the young hedgehogs that were born in your garden? One of mine has chosen to stay around and sleeps in one of the houses every day, although she seems to switch houses every so often.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog