Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Nesting

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Nesting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a hedgehog that has just started building a nest in my hedgehog house! Is it too early for them to be preparing for hibernation or could it be a female preparing to give birth? I’m not sure how far in advance of either of these activities they start their nest building. Thanks.

Nic

Hi Steph 55

It could potentially be either. Hibernation nests may be built a bit in advance and a hog may build more than one.

It is late for a female to be giving birth, but some do produce quite late, as we can tell from all the youngsters who end up too small for hibernation every year. If a hog is building a nest for birthing, it is likely to be nearer the time. Sometimes females can still be seen busily building their nests in the early mornings.

Thanks Nic. I will keep an eye out and see what happens!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog