Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Nesting box for our little hog family

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Nesting box for our little hog family

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I am a bit new to this so would love some advice please. We have seen hedgehogs in our neighbourhood before, but nothing like this year. I think we have a family in our garden which is really exciting. It’s not a big space but there are a few wild areas and a little highway that they have made through to other gardens. I have seen a large, a medium and one or two babies (not sure as one was in the back, the other in the front, but it could have run through! 😉 I will set up a feeding station, but wasn’t sure whether I should also make a house for them to shelter in or not. I assume they already have a nest somewhere, but don’t want to look for it in case I disturb them. Is that something they would benefit from please or should I just leave them with the one they have already?
    Thanks so much
    Rachel

Nic

Hi Cadfolkhogs

I think it would be a great idea to make them a hog house. When so many people have such ‘tidy’ gardens these days, it isn’t always easy for the hogs to find somewhere they can make a nest – so hog houses offer them more options. But no you’re right not to disturb them. If they have found somewhere to nest that’s great, but they do move nests so will need somewhere else, too.

If you have a hog house, the hogs don’t always move in immediately some won’t until it becomes ‘part of the furniture’. As important as a house is nesting material. To them the house is only a structure within which they can make their nest (although some will spend days in boxes without making a nest, in the Summer). But to encourage the hogs to use the box sooner, put a handful of nesting material in the box to give them the idea and leave some piles of medium sized leaves, long grasses, etc. nearby, which they can use of they choose to. Hogs normally prefer to do their interior decorations themselves!

There are some instructions for making a hog house in the following, but there are other designs as well with interior ‘corridors’. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/hedgehog-homes/

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog