Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New Champion!

Home Forums Champions’ chat New Champion!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi

I am new to this site. I have two hedgehogs visiting my garden everynight. I live in rural Northumberland. Foxes do not bother my hedgehogs at all. The fox straddles the hedgehog and they both eat together. I have a hedgehog house in my garden the fox has no access but the last couple of nights hedgehog has stopped going into the house and has changed entry and exit routes to my garden. Is this normal? I am not sure if they are males or females! I love watching them on my camera lovely little animals. I do of course feed them every night and leave a dish of fresh clean drinking water. He does let me quite close and I can talk to him. Thanks for listening!

Nic

Hi Benny Boy

Welcome to the Forum. It’s good to hear that you have hedgehogs there.

Hedgehogs do sometimes move out of houses. In the wild they would change nests now and then, otherwise there might be a build up of parasites – ticks etc. If you are sure the hog isn’t in there, it might be a good opportunity to clean the box out. There’s some information about cleaning out hog houses on this link:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

They sometimes change their routes, but maybe you have more hedgehogs than you realise and it’s a different hog?!

Some of the hedgehogs are beginning to hibernate now, so it won’t be long until many of us will have to be content with watching the video we collected when they were around. But, keep an eye out in case there are any late hoglets, who might stay around longer than the adults and might welcome some food and water.

Good luck with the hogs.

Hi Benny Boy
    Interesting to read your post – that must be a wonderful sight watching a fox and hedgehog sharing the same dish! Perhaps you could upload camera footage to the site to share with us all!
    Welcome! And happy hog watching!x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog