Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New Hedgehog addict

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New Hedgehog addict

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi All

First saw a hedgehog in garden earlier in the year bought some food it never came back again for months! Spotted some poo in the garden about 6 weeks ago and so put the food out. Asked hubby to build a feeding station, he built an actual house complete with chimney lol. Anyway have been putting food in every night which has been gone in the morning. Bought a spy camera cant get the stupid thing to work. Finally spotted wee hoggers as I’ve named name about 4 weeks ago and I think I’ve now seen him every night since. Regular as clockwork 9.30 pm. Thought he was out there last night but thought he was a bit smaller turns out it was a different one as whilst watching him wee hoggers came in through the fence wandered a bit then went in the house. Need to get a bit more inventive with the names as the second one is smaller than wee hoggers. Anyway would love it if they keep coming and maybe hibernate and or nest here. Suggestions for achieving this? Hubby said he will build another house…….

Nic

Hi Crenwick

Welcome to the forum! Really good to hear you have hogs there. One of the best ways to attract more hogs to your garden is to make it hedgehog friendly. Some tips here:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/
    Also very important to link your gardens with others by making hog holes in fences walls:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

Brilliant that you’ve got hubby to make a feeding station/house for them – sounds very posh with a chimney!

Try to get your camera worked out. It can be fascinating watching what they get up to in the middle of the night.

Happy hog watching.

Hi All
    As of yesterday I too have discovered hoglets in my garden,seen 3 yesterday & today,so excited.
    Went & bought dog wet & kibble food yesterday which I watched one of them eat & put down water.
    Have put more down today and saw them all again at about 4.30pm is this a usual time ?
    Tomorrow I am going to built a hedgehog house,have been doing some research & learn about these gorgeous little creatures.

Nic

Hi IrisRose

So pleased for you that you have hoglets in your garden! Well done getting food for them as well as water. 4.30 p.m. is a bit early. You might have had some very hungry and thirsty hoglets there. If that’s all it was, I would expect them to arrive after dark once they were no longer quite so hungry. But if they continue to turn up that early I would contact your nearest hedgehog carer/rehabilitator and ask their advice. You can get details from BHPS on 01584 890801.

Brilliant that you are getting a hog box and doing some research.

Good luck with the hedgehogs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog