Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New hedgehog food.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New hedgehog food.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

For those interested, Riverside Wood craft who build great hedgehog houses, have developed their own food. I have bought a 1kg bag for a trial with the bird house. The nuggets are very small and comes in hessian sacks. Seems to be going down well, am mixing it with the cat food I already had. All being eaten. Just look under hedgehogs at their website.

Willpar.

Nic

Hi Willpar

Interesting to hear about the new hog food. Are they still eating it up?

Hi Nic, just caught up with your post. At the moment The hedgehogs are ignoring the new food. Seems they prefer the Opticat junior that I get from lidl. But I can blend it away when I make up my own mix, so it wont be wasted. Just no pleasing some hogs.

I’ve tried this too. The wild ones are eating it but the captive ones took a few days to decide if they liked it.

Some of the new food was ate last night. So that is an improvement. Only got the small sack just to see. Don’t know that I will buy anymore. My usual lidl stuff I can get with the weekly shop.

My brother has been feeding his 5 visitors this new food. He doesn’t put any wet food out at all, but he says it’s all gone by morning!
    I haven’t changed from the hog spikes moist as it seems to be going down a treat, as does the Cesar dog food for small dogs! I have a big bag of the spikes dry food and I always leave a bowl out in case I get some new visitors who don’t yet know where the feeding stations are. But thus far the only takers for the dry food are the cats! Lol

Hi all, just remember the 3 day rule and if you continue to put old with new food they may ignore completely. You may get success William if you are mixing it. I too are on Spike, semi moist, they love it, but it goes down so fast I’m buying 1.3 kg x2 on line. If you just go to the supermarket and its easier for you, if they like it, why change. I’ve found these specific foods for hogs sells out quickly in shops, if and when they have it in, so that’s why I buy online. If you have a pound stretcher they have pkts of small cat biscuits called “I❤️my cat” I bought the chicken one and they seem to like that as well as its going down a treat. I’ve tried mixing other biscuits with it that they don’t usually eat, some of them have gone, but mostly sorted out and left. Best wishes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog