Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New hedgehog house

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New hedgehog house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,

This is the first time we’ve had hedgehogs in our garden.

We’ve brought a hedgehog house and my question is, do I need to perform daily cleaning of the house? Remove any poop or wee strains etc

Nic

Hi Theroninhunter

No there is no need to clean out a hog house every day. Think of it as more like a bedroom. They don’t tend to poo, etc. in their nests. But you probably will need to clean it out maybe twice a year to keep potential parasite build up to a minimum. There is some more information here:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

That is, assuming you are using it as a house. If you’re using it as a feeding station then you will probably need to clean it out fairly often. But if a hog has decided to sleep in there (even if it’s meant to be for feeding), don’t clean it out until any hog has vacated – i.e. don’t disturb the hog.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog