Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New member with a lodger

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New member with a lodger

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m after a bit of advice as what to do. For the last week or so, I’ve had a hedgehog living in my outhouse. Appears fine, good size, feeding her daily but I’m just a little concerned as she doesn’t seem to be venturing out much.
    My garden is more of a courtyard than a garden, no grass however lots of snails and quite close to a busy junction.
    Love having her here and but unsure whether it’s the right environment??

Nic

Hi michelleg

Welcome to the Forum!

The hedgehog got into your courtyard, so presumably it could get out the same way. They are surprisingly good climbers and can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps. Are you certain it isn’t going out at night and then returning – i.e. do you have a night camera to keep an eye on the hog’s activities. If not it might be worth trying to get one or borrow one. Normally hedgehogs would visit several gardens during a night. If it’s possible maybe you could create a hog hole so it can come and go more easily.

But the way I see it, the hog has chosen your courtyard/outhouse so there must be something it likes about it. If you have anything dangerous around i.e. chemicals, netting etc. it would be good to move it to where the hog can’t reach it. Here is some information about some garden hazards:
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/garden-hazards/

But if you are worried that the hog might be unwell (for instance if it is not moving much) you could always contact a hedgehog rescue and take their advice. You can get contact details by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801

Good luck to you and the hedgehog. Let us know how things go.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog