Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New petition launched to increase legal protection for hedgehogs

Home Forums Champions’ chat New petition launched to increase legal protection for hedgehogs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nic

More information:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/petition-to-increase-hedgehog-protection/

Please sign the Petition and ask all your friends, relatives, etc. to sign too.

Hi Nic
    Signed it and shared it on Facebook and WhatsApp. I noticed a similar petition was started in 2015, was it rejected? Also any update on the Hedgehog Highways one?

Nic

Hi Bushsnuffler

Well done for signing and sharing. Yes, there do seem to have been various petitions about hedgehogs in the past (one earlier this year of the parliament uk variety), but this was started by Fay Vass from BHPS. If you go to this one and click on ‘all petitions’ at the bottom of the page you can type hedgehogs in and see all the ones that mention hedgehogs. Anyone can start them, so some are more sensible than others. This one is a UK government and Parliament petition, so that if it reaches 100,000 in 6 months they debate it in parliament, so well worth a try.

But it isn’t easy getting those many signatures, so really does need everyone to try to get numbers up. But there are supposed to be more than 85,000 hedgehog champions, so if they all signed and got one other person to sign it should be easy, but it doesn’t always seem to work that way.

I’m not sure about the hog highways one. I used to follow other types of petitions I heard of, if they related to hedgehogs, but some of them seem to go on for ever and I wonder if they are ever going to present them to anyone. So you probably know more about that one than I do.

Nic

Don’t forget to sign the petition, if you haven’t already. The hogs need your help. 🦔

Direct link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/550379

Signed.

Dee

Hello Nic,
    Yes I have signed The Petition, and am encouraging others to do the same.
    Also had an email from Grace at Hedgehog Street asking for letters to be sent to Local MPs to encourage them to get Hedgehogs listed as Schedule 5. I have just sent my letter….wonder if my MP will read it ????

Sad to say I have seen very few hogs this year and at least one of them was road-kill, poor little thing.

Hope you have had better luck with hogs this year, here’s to 2021.

Nic

That’s great. Keep up the good work, Dee.

Sad to hear about the roadkill and the general scarcity of hogs. I get fewer hogs here than I used to, too – and more males than females which isn’t good news – and no hoglets – very sad. Fond memories of the good old days, when one year 12 hoglets made their way through my garden! (not all together, I hasten to add – that would have been a sight to see!) But, every hog is a good hog, of course!

Yes, lets hope for a better year, all round next year! All the best to you and all hogs for 2021.

Nic

Thanks, Acer, that’s great.

Nic

Great news that this petition reached more than 100,000 signatures and that Parliament will consider this for debate.

Oh WOW. Isn’t that just the best news !! Let’s hope for a considered debate.

That great, thanks Nic for sharing it and well done everyone who signed it. Lets all hope parliament make hedgehogs Schedule 5 so they can benefit from enhanced legal protection.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog