Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

New to hedgehogs

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New to hedgehogs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi I’ve been aware that a hedgehog visits our garden for a while now but wanted to find out more, I started putting out food when my grandson stayed over and he loved checking if it was gone in the morning. Things have progressed we now have a trail camera to watch and recently made a little house, we put some food in the house which he soon found and started entering the house most nights. Checking the camera this morning shows two hedgehogs and when I lifted the lid to put more food in the house some one was still home fast asleep. We will now feed outside of the house and leave them in peace, I’m nearly as excited as my grandson.

Nic

Hi Mjd7658

Great news about the hogs there! Yes, they do occasionally settle down for the day in the food boxes! But if you don’t have cat problems it’s fine to feed the hogs outside. I have found some hogs don’t like going into boxes, so for some it might be preferable. I use a sheet of perspex type material balanced on earth filled flower pots which helps to keep the food dry if it rains – and it can be easily cleared away during the day.

Don’t forget to leave water out for the hogs all day every day. Sometimes it’s hard for them to find water. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal for that.

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog