Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Newbie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone. As the title suggests I’m new here but have been watching hedgehogs since I was little and now lucky enough to have at least one visiting our garden. We’ve set up a feeding station and I’m awaiting delivery of a trail camera to see what’s actually going on, but we seem to see food and drink being taken every other night. I had previously though most hogs had a nightly routine and so just wondered if this was a pattern any one else has seen? It could also be lots of different hogs I guess – I’m hoping the camera will help!
    Looking forward to helping the hedgehog cause! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Nic

Hi Tiggywinks

Welcome to the Forum!

It’s good to hear you have some hog activity there. It may be that the visiting hog is a male. They have larger ranges than the females, so it’s possible that he may be visiting other parts of his range on the days he’s missing. I have found that at least some of the males don’t visit every night.

But also, here, that it’s the females who are more regular in their visits, but it does vary a bit from hog to hog. I used to have one female visitor who you could almost set your clocks by! But even with females they can often be delayed from the actual feeding area if they are intercepted by a male and become involved in courtship circling.

Good luck with the camera. Hopefully it will give you a better idea of what is happening.

If you are interested in identifying the hogs naturally, I wrote a few notes a while back, which you might find useful https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/identifying-hedgehogs-from-their-natural-markings/

Happy hog watching!

Hi Nic thanks for the warm welcome and that’s really a helpful link, thank you. I’ll definitely draw some hedgehog templates ready for if I can spot any markings on camera. Fingers crossed the camera works.

That’s interesting about the difference between male and female wanderings too – lots to learn!

In the meantime hopefully more hogs will find the food and water, particularly as it’s been so dry in my part of the country. No significant rain for about 5 weeks now!

Welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Emma! ๐Ÿ‘‹

hello-
    Hope you have more arriving and lots of fun watching their antics. You will become addicted very soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog