Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

No hogs for 2 weeks

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings No hogs for 2 weeks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi
    For the last 2 weeks, I have not had one hog visiting 🙁
    Up to then, I have 2 or 3 regulars since April

Do you think its quiet due to them having another litter? or is this just common for them to not visit for a while?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

All I can say is that this year has been a very strange year for hedgehog visibility, we’ve all been commenting on it recently. some experts have suggested the very dry weather and lack of food / water had driven numbers of them to a ‘summer hibernation’ – which would be unusual but kind of makes sense.
    If you have been seeing them routinely since April – through the dry weather etc – then it sounds unlikely in your case – but then as you say later litters or second litters could be a reason. additional support from neighbours could also be a reason and they may have chosen alternative restaurants and menu for a while…….
    we all just have to sit tight under these circumstances, hogs do have unpredictable habits, which I can only conclude comes down to a natural instinct we know very little about.
    recommendation is to keep putting refreshed food and water out and even after many months they can and do reappear – much to our delight and relief.
    I’m trying not to read too much into not seeing any of our regulars for many weeks now also – but as the ground softens locally with the rainfall we have now got – i’m keeping a beady eye out for signs they have returned at any point.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog