Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

No resident but poop in house

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings No resident but poop in house

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I have had my hedgehog house out all summer and had put a bit of hay in there myself as I read it was ok to add some bedding. I also have a hedgehog feeding station outside of the house and hedgehogs come and go in my garden throughout the night and eat the food.

This morning, I noticed some of the hay had been moved from the main area to the tunnel area. I had a little peak inside and no hedgehogs were there, but… There was a lot of poop in there.

My question is, now some have started entering the house, should I quickly clean out the poop incase one decides to nest there over the winter?

I clean all feeding stations daily but although there is a bit of leaves and short straw in the hibernacula and I have at least one “overnighter” generally leave them alone.
    Earlier this year, the hog. that I think that i see most, pulled leaves inside a feeding station and made two appearances for a couple of weeks each. All I did each morning was to get the bum off the feeding bowl for the first few days of overnighting. Then, didn’t leave food in that station, same amount nightly across the other 2, until the hog. vacated.
    Cleaned/cleared each time that the station was empty.
    They often leave their deposits in the feeding stations, up the wall, in the dish, wherever!
    Bear in mind that ‘cos of their fast metabolism they fill up and evacuate twice nightly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog