Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Odd behaviour when feeding.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Odd behaviour when feeding.

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LFS

Last night I saw what I thought was a bit odd. I have a camera set up in my feeding station and have observed hogs feeding through out the winter. They (I think I have more than one, possibly 3) usually visit between 4 and 10 visits a night and feed for 5 or 10 mins at a time. However, last night one hog visited lasted nearly an hour. At one point I thought it fell over, my husband thinks it fell asleep. Do they do that while feeding? I have the video if anyone is interested in seeing it but like I said it stayed for almost an hour between 22.44 and 23.40 so there is a lot of footage. I just thought I would share this as I thought it was odd.

Nic

Hi LFS

It’s difficult to say, for sure, without seeing it – and even then – not always possible, but hogs do sometimes have a nap in feeding boxes – it’s a nice dry draught free place and a good way of making sure another hog can’t eat all the food! It may be one recently out of hibernation, so a bit dozier than usual. But presumably it eventually got back up again and continued behaving normally? Do you mean it wasn’t moving for almost an hour and then got up and carried on? If it seemed normal afterwards, I wouldn’t worry too much – napping for an hour doesn’t sound unusual. I used to have one here who regularly curled up in the corner between a fence and a wall and then got up afterwards and had another snack.

LFS

Hi NIC
    Thanks for your reply. It didn’t seem like a normal nap as it appeared to be breath heavy. It did eventually continue to feed and leave. It may have been a recent wakening so hungry and wobbly. Hopefully it will return tonight, I will keep an eye out this evening. My camera software YAWC does not record sound so could not hear if it was coughing or weezy. Can you suggest a better software?

Nic

Hi LFS

Sorry you’re asking the wrong person about technical computer stuff! I just have a trailcam which has built in sound. But it does help, sometimes, having sound.

If you’re worried about the hog, not a bad idea to keep an eye out for it tonight. But if you are filming close up, it could have the effect of making it appear as if it is breathing more heavily than it is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog