Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

One really hungry/greedy hog.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings One really hungry/greedy hog.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I put out two bowls of hoggie biscuits and 2 bowls of wet dog food every night a good distance apart from each other.
    I noticed that the wet food has all gone by 10 pm and assumed due to cats, so have watched for a few evenings and see it is one hog that finishes one bowl of wet food then moves on to the other and finishes that as well!
    Seems a lot for one hog to eat – has anyone else noticed similar? Could it be a nursing mother popping out for a meal? Just seems a large amount of easy food when there is so much natural available and this hoggie avoids the biscuits as well.
    I see other hogs later eating the biscuits and replenished (!!) wet food but normal supplementary feeding I think.
    Am I overfeeding or have others seen this?

It could well be a nursing mother, or even an old hog with poor teeth. Bear in mind hogs need a lot of food – much more than most people think, so it may just be you looking at the size of it think it doesn’t need as much
    Whatever, at this point please don’t cut down it’s food

Hi stef. Thanks for replying. Truthfully I didn’t realise hogs need a lot of food, just assumed an untidy wildish garden would provide enough for them and wary of making them reliant on food I put out, considering it supplementary (a bit of a treat maybe).
    I won’t cut down on food, maybe even put more wet food out early.
    There is one little girlie that visits and only eats biscuits – not interested in the wet food – clearly they all are different. !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog