Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Over friendly Hedgie!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Over friendly Hedgie!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi

I might be being daft here so bear with me! I’m lucky enough to have a mum and 2 babies in my garden and I feed them each evening. A couple of nights now there has been one of the young that doesn’t run away when I put the food down and in fact crawls on my foot and almost let’s me hand feed it.

Is it blind or is this friendly behaviour normal? While I love the interaction, I don’t want to make it lose the fear that may well protect it later in life.

It did get stuck in a ditch which I have since blocked and screamed (I didn’t even know hedgehogs made that noise) for help. So I picked it out using gardening gloves and a tea towel. This was a few months ago and it hissed the whole time I had it in my hands.

Both babies and Mum feed every night and are active on my wildlife camera so seem like they are coping.

Thanks for any insight. This website is awesome!

Nic

Hi Smiler71

Some hogs will become quite friendly, but like you I think it is better for them to preserve their natural instinct to be wary of predators – which is what humans are, in effect. Sadly, not all humans love hedgehogs. So I was glad to hear that when the little hog was in real trouble it kicked up a fuss. Well done for rescuing it, despite the hissing, etc.

It’s lovely that the family are doing well now and you are enjoying their visits. Watching them on wildlife cameras can be such good fun!

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Thank you for the reassurance! I’m hoping they are getting ready to hunker down for winter soon. So lovely to see them about and I will miss them over winter. But I think they have the right idea…brrrr! 😂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog