Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Overwintering

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Overwintering

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m a hedgehog carer and a few of them are too small to release so will be overwintered. One has already gone into hibernation in an outdoor hutch. My intention is to keep checking the hutch without disturbing him and to keep leaving dry biscuits and water in the hutch feeding area. He’s 675g and would have been released but he had an injured hock and I want him to have more time to recover. Any other tips on how to manage hibernating hogs in this situation?

Apart from changing the food & water periodically that sounds exactly what I would do.
    If we have a long winter then I would bring out of hibernation around March just to be safe
    Finally just keep an eye out for rats getting into the cage

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog