Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Petition

Home Forums Champions’ chat Petition

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Add hedgehogs to Schedule 5 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

I have supported and rescued hedgehogs in my Norfolk garden for 11 years. There are many cases of hedgehogs being killed or injured, including intentionally. The July 2023 torture & mutilation of a hedgehog in Holt, Norfolk has horrified the local community& hedgehog lovers across the UK. Adding hedgehogs to Schedule 5 would give a species in serious decline additional legal protection

Hedgehogs are listed as vulnerable in Natural England’s IUCN-compliant red list. They are subject to intentional and reckless killing and injury as well as damage and disturbance to their habitat. The RSPCA found that incidents of abuse, including beating, improper killing, mutilation, and neglect increased from 2011-15 and 2016-20.

Please have a look at my petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/643081
    Thank you,
    Maggie Wilcox

I have responded to the post on X previously. There seems to be little sign of interest here. Do you “do” Facebook? (I don’t any more!)

Hi, Roy: shocking lack of interest on here but it doesn’t appear to be a busy forum. FYI…only one share on social media by the Hedgehog Society is disappointing & perplexing. Petition is circulating on Facebook, Bluesky, Threads, Mastodon, Instagram. Now have over 16,000 signatures & a government response.

Have you sent your petition to the BHPS?
    I doubt it’s lack of interest but people are often reluctant to click on links from people they don’t know.

Nic

Hi Norfolk Bea

Sorry there hasn’t been much interest re. your petition. I suspect part of the problem is that BHPS had a similar petition a few years ago https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/petition-to-increase-hedgehog-protection/

They got the required number of signatures and it was ‘debated’ in parliament (in committee, as I recall), but I don’t think anything came of it. That isn’t any reason not to have another petition, of course, but may explain some of the apparent apathy.

The way I see it, if they keep having to debate this issue, maybe eventually they will do something about it! So I hope you get lots more signatures.

To anyone worried about the petition, please do have a look – it’s very straightforward to ‘sign’ and this is a completely separate petition to the one from BHPS which you may have ‘signed’ a few years ago.

So come on everyone, we only have until 29th February to get this petition up to 100,000 votes. Please also tell all your friends and relations about it.

The hogs need our help!

Nic

p.s. You need to click the link in the email that Petitions: UK Government and Parliament send you – should be straight after you voted – otherwise your vote will not count.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog