Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Please leave water out for the hedgehogs 24 hours a day

Home Forums Champions’ chat Please leave water out for the hedgehogs 24 hours a day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nic

In this hot weather it is especially important to leave water out all day and night. A thirsty hog may come out during the day and it could be a life saver.

Shallow plant saucers are ideal and try to leave them dotted around the garden not too far from cover and ideally in the shade. 8 inches across or larger are best – hogs are very good at tipping the smaller ones over! Make sure they are not so deep that a hoglet could get trapped.

Hi Nic,

Great advice as the hogs here have been drinking a lot in this hot weather. I remember your reply to one of my posts stating that hogs can normally find something to eat but water can be harder for them to find and, in this hot weather, water is even more essential for our hogs.

I normally have 2 water dishes out for the hogs but i increased this to 4 around two weeks ago and they are lapping up the water on offer.

Unfortunately the hogs sometimes have their bashing contests at the water dishes which sometimes leads to spillage but hogs will be hogs! However they are getting more tolerant – maybe as you said previously Nic with no females around less to fight over or maybe the hot weather means they need to be a bit more subdued (birds like male robins, who also can’t tolreate other males, often put their differences aside in extreme weather as survival becomes more important than wasting energy on fighting each other).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog